Friday, December 21, 2007

Almost Perfect Pecan Pralines

This is a recipe I made up, and want to get down before I forget my mistakes. I've been on a quest recently to create a clear hard candy shell around a pecan - one that is not so thick it breaks molars, but not so thin it doesn't lend any flavor. I've had mixed success. On the one hand, these have a good flavor, and bit of the crunch I'm seeking. On the other, the sugar doesn't completely melt, so the pecans look like they have raw sugar on them. Trying to turn up the heat or increase the time results in burned pecans, and trying to melt the sugar in a saucepan results in something more akin to the pecan brittle - tasty, but not the result I want. Trying to go all sugar or all corn syrup doesn't get the results either. I think I'm done with tinkering for now. I have pounds of pecans in varying stages of "candification." Perfection will have to wait till those are gone.


2 cups whole pecans, unroasted
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. 5 spice


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Fold all ingredients together, taking care not to break too many of the pecans. Spread into a single layer on a large baking sheet.

Bake for 8 minutes. Leave in pan to cool.

No comments: